Keeping all of your memories on all of your devices is easy with Mylio. Syncing allows each of your devices, whether it be computers, phones, tablets or external hard drives to always have the same information. Syncing also ensures that new photos added to one device are available on other devices and that edits, metadata, and organization changes made on one device are available on all of your devices.
How Syncing Works
Mylio syncs over a peer-to-peer connection to ensure that photos and videos are shared between your devices quickly and safely. Peer-to-peer means that your devices do not utilize the internet or the cloud to transfer photos. Instead, Mylio uses a direct wireless connection between your devices to sync information. Mylio gains this direct connection by looking at your devices on a network. This network can be a home wireless network, a wired/wireless hybrid network, or even an open Wi-Fi network (restrictions apply). Even though Mylio utilizes a network, it does not require the internet – simply that your devices be connected to the same network.
Mylio must meet three criteria in order to sync your devices:
- All devices must be logged into the same Mylio account.
- All devices must be connected to the same network.
- All devices must be running Mylio (Mylio must be in the foreground on mobile devices).
When these three criteria are met Mylio will transfer your photos, videos, edits, metadata, and organization between all of your devices quickly and safely.
Mylio and Photo Quality
When setting up Mylio for the first time, Mylio will intelligently decide what quality of your photos should be synced to your device. This is decided by how much space is currently on the device and what type of device you are using. The default quality in which Mylio decides to sync your photos is called your device’s Sync Policy.
Mylio has three different Sync Policies:
- Thumbnails – A small version of your photos (20kb to 30kb) that is great for referencing your full library. Ideal for mobile devices. Does not allow editing.
- Previews – Medium quality (approximately 1mb) that gives an accurate representation of your photos at a fraction of the space. Perfect for laptops. Fully editable.
- Originals – Your full quality file (original file size). Great for desktops. RAW compatible. Fully editable.
Adjusting Sync Policies
Though Mylio will intelligently decide what Sync Policy is best for your device, the storage on your device may change and you may need to adjust the Sync Policy accordingly. You can adjust Sync Policies in two ways:
- Adjust the device Sync Policy. This changes the default Sync Policy for all new and existing media for this device.
- Sync higher quality photos on demand. This allows Mylio to temporarily store a higher quality version of the photo you are looking at if a device holding the higher quality version is online. For example, if you’re at home looking at photos on a tablet with a Sync Policy of Thumbnails while a computer running Mylio with Originals is on the same network. Mylio will fetch the higher quality photo and display it temporarily, then discard it when you navigate away from the photo.
External Drives and Sync Policies
External devices can be added to your Mylio account without affecting your plan’s device limit. Adding an external drive to Mylio is a great way to protect your entire photo library to a single device.
When adding an external drive to Mylio, the external drive will automatically have a Sync Policy of Originals. This means all photos in their full quality, will be protected to the external drive.