When opening Mylio for the first time on a computer, you will be guided through setting up the application. The Mylio setup wizard can help you ensure that Mylio is properly configured.
To get started with the Mylio setup wizard, be sure you have signed in to Mylio using your Mylio username and password.
If you are experiencing issues signing in to Mylio, use the gear icon at the top right to reset your password, manage your account, or completely reset your local device.
The gear icon also holds advanced setup options like adjusting your Mylio Root Directory or Mylio Catalog Directory. These options are for advanced users only.
Once signed in, the setup wizard will begin…
Starting your Mylio Library
Mylio begins by asking where your photos are. You are given a series of options, choose which option best describes the location of your photos and videos.
- This Device – Import media that is stored locally on an internal drive on the device you are currently using. This option walks you through Mylio’s ‘Source Folders’ import option.
- External Drive – If your media is stored on an external drive that is connected via USB, Firewire, Thunderbolt, or other means, then select this option. Once selected, you’ll be asked to select the drive that your media is stored on, and Mylio will display three additional options:
- Mirror – The ‘mirror’ option allows you to choose folders on your external drive that contain photos you would like to be imported into Mylio. It also sets your drive as a Mylio Device, so your photos can be viewed in Mylio even when the drive is not plugged in. Photos added to Mylio after this option is used can be sent to the external drive automatically for protection.
- Copy – Copy media from your external drive onto your local drive and into Mylio. After using this command, the media will exist on both the external drive and the internal drive, but the files will not be linked (editing one does not affect the other). This option is often used to copy media from devices such as flash drives or small hard drives when you wish to import the media from that device and then not require the device any longer.
- Create Protection Drive – Mylio will add the attached external drive as a Mylio Device. Any media added to Mylio will be protected on the attached drive, but no media from the drive will be imported into your Mylio Library automatically.
- Facebook Albums – Import your photos directly from Facebook. Requires a sign in.
- Aperture / iPhoto / Photos – If you’ve used Photos, iPhoto, or Aperture in the past, Mylio can directly import your libraries and most of your library information. For more information on Photos import, click here. iPhoto import, click here. For more information on Aperture import, click here.
- Flickr – If your photos are on Flickr, this option will download and import your photos directly from your Flickr account. Requires a sign in and pictures to be public.
- Lightroom – Importing from Lightroom is a powerful way to get your photos into Mylio. By selecting this option you can simply direct Mylio to your Lightroom photos (not Lightroom catalog) and Mylio will import them. For full interoperability, please ensure that Lightroom is set up properly for Mylio by clicking here.
- After importing your first set of photos, Mylio displays a blue flag alerting you that you can select the Import button to add more photos.
- Mylio will intelligently select a photo quality based off of how much space is available on your machine. This can be changed manually if desired by adjusting the device’s Sync Policy.