Mylio’s Selective Sync options allow for you to take control over your Mylio Library and quality in which photos sync to your devices. This option will allow you to set specific files and folders to have different Sync Policies than your device overall. It even allows you to change the Sync Policy of specific files and folders for remote devices.
With Selective Sync on, you’ll gain two functions:
- Mylio will display sync icons at the top right of all media and folders in grid view, allowing you to quickly and easily adjust your media’s local Sync Policy.
- Mylio will grant access to the Sync Panel, allowing you to adjust your media and folder’s Sync Policy on remote devices.
Turning on Selective Sync
Selective Sync can be turned on by:
- Open the Dashboard and locate the Devices section.
- Select the device you’re currently using
- Select Advanced in the Device Quality.
- Select the Device Sync Policy that you would like your device to have. For more information, see this article.
- Turn on Selective Sync.
If you have downgraded a file or folder’s Sync Policy, you will need to clear Mylio’s cache before space is recovered by your device. More information on clearing cache can be found here.
Turning On/Off the Selective Sync Icon
In some cases, you may find the Selective Sync icon intrusive. If this is the case, you can turn this icon off by:
- Open Mylio and navigate to grid view.
- Select the View menu in the top right corner of Mylio.
- Select Annotations
- Toggle “Show Selective Sync quick access” on or off.
Adjusting Local Sync Policies for Mobile and Desktop
With Selective Sync on, Mylio allows you to easily adjust the Sync Policy of files and folders for your device.
Each file and folder in grid view will have a small T/P/O icon at the top right. By tapping this icon, you can set that file or folder’s Sync Policy to Thumbnail, Preview, or Original. This is the only way to adjust the local Sync Policy for files/folders when on a mobile device.
If adjusting a folder’s Sync Policy, then all media within that folder will inherit the folder’s Sync Policy.
Understanding the Sync Panel
With Selective Sync on, you’ll have access to Mylio’s Sync Panel. The Sync Panel gives you access to a wealth of information about your library, but learning how to use it is key. Here is an overview of the different parts of the Sync Panel.
1. Sync Panel Icon– To view the Sync panel, click on the sync icon in the top right corner of the Details panel.
2. Your Selection or Library – Toggle between the Sync Panel showing information specifically regarding the full library or regarding a specific selection.
3. Selected folder – What folder is selected. The Sync panel will display information specifically about the folder listed here.
4. Sync Panel View Settings – Adjust between viewing only online Mylio Devices or all Mylio Devices. You can also toggle on Compact View and Advanced Selection mode.
5. Protection Status Bar – The Protection bar reflects the protection status of your selection. Green = protected, yellow = at risk.
6. Device List – Toggle this open or closed to view your list of Mylio devices.
7. Device icon – The device icon can tell you quickly if you are on a mobile device or computer. You can also click this icon to bring up individual Device Settings.
8. Device Name – The individual name for a device in Mylio. You can click on it at any time to bring up Sync settings for this specific device.
9. Thumbnail Status – A small version of your photo (20 to 30kb) that is great for referencing your full library. Ideal for mobile devices. Does not allow editing. The bar changes in color based on the status of Thumbnails on your device. Green means that there are Thumbnails on that device, yellow means that the device wants them but doesn’t have them, and gray means that it doesn’t want them and it doesn’t have them.
10. Preview Status – Medium quality (approximately 1mb) that gives an accurate representation of your photos at a fraction of the space. Perfect for laptops or tablets. Fully editable. Green means that there are Previews on that device, yellow means that the device wants them but doesn’t have them, and gray means that it doesn’t want them and it doesn’t have them.
11. Original Status – Your full quality file (original file size). Great for desktops or high capacity laptops. RAW Compatible. Fully editable. Green means that there are Originals on that device, yellow means that the device wants them but doesn’t have them, and gray means that it doesn’t want them and it doesn’t have them.
12. Cached Image – A squiggly line means that this device has the image but does not want it, or the image is cached. The cache can be cleared by following these steps.
13. Connection Status – Shows the connection status and speed for the specific device.
14. Not Connected – Indicates that the device is not online and not actively syncing.
15. Synced Protection Device – The green shield represents that a device wants originals and is done syncing.
16. Syncing Status Icon – This icon represents that this device is syncing.
17. Number of Media to Sync – represents how many files need to sync of that quality type.
18. Offline Protection Device – The grey shield represents a device that wants Originals that is not currently syncing.
19. Offline Preview Device – The grey circle represents a device that does not want Originals and is not currently syncing.
20. Activity section – Lists any activity and pending tasks that Mylio has queued up.
Adjusting Remote Sync Policies
Adjusting Remote Sync Policies
With Selective Sync on and access to the Sync Panel, Mylio allows you to alter the Sync Policy of any folder or media remotely.
- Select the file or folder that you wish to alter the Sync Policy for.
- Open the Sync section of the Details panel.
- With your selection made and outlined in blue, select the device that you would like to adjust the Sync Policy for by clicking on its name in the Sync Panel.
- Mylio will open the Adjust Sync Policy window. The top of this window will tell you how many media you are adjusting the Sync Policy of.
- Select the X to set the Policy of none, the star for some, and the check for all for each quality.
- Select Apply to commit the change.
Custom Sync Settings
Custom Sync settings can be used in a variety of ways. For instance, you can set all media rated 5-stars to sync Original photos or photos with specific keywords to sync at a higher or lower quality than other photos.
With Mylio, you can take your entire photo library with you. Custom Sync settings are not designed to limit which photos are syncing to your device, only what quality of the photo is syncing.
How to set Custom Sync Settings
- Open Mylio and navigate to the Sync section of the Details panel.
- Select the folder you would like the Custom Sync settings to be applied to, or select nothing to set Custom Sync settings for the entire library.
- Select the device you would like to set Custom Sync settings for.
- Select the star (sync some) for the quality of photo you would like to sync.
- Select Custom Sync Settings below the star rating.
- Add the parameters you would like Mylio to look for when syncing.
- Click or tap off of the parameter selecting dialog and then click Apply in the Sync Policy window.