What is Safe File System Delete?
Mylio’s Safe File System Delete is an option available in the Source Folders settings to ensure your data remains safe.
When Safe File System Delete (Safe Delete for short) is off, Mylio is designed to keep a 1:1 relationship with the Source Folders in your operating system. If a file is deleted in Mylio, it is deleted in the Source Folder in Finder/File Explorer. If a file is deleted in the Source Folder in Finder/File Explorer, it is deleted in Mylio. That deletion would then sync between all of your devices and the file would be deleted on all machines.
When Safe Delete is on, Mylio reads your Source Folder in Finder/File Explorer for new images and edits, but it doesn’t read or replicate deletes that happen outside of Mylio.
Here are some ways that safe delete works:
- Images deleted in the File System will not be removed from Mylio.
- Images deleted in the File System will not have the delete replicated to other devices.
- If Selective Sync is off, images deleted in the File System will sync back to the device that the original files were deleted from when another Vault is available. If Selective Sync is on, the media will have its Sync Policy changed to Thumbnail or Preview and the Original will remain off the device.
Turning Safe Delete On or Off
Safe Delete can be toggled on and off per device, but not per Source Folder. Safe delete can be toggled on and off by:
- Open Mylio and select Settings from the View menu.
- Select Source Folders
- Toggle on or off the Safe Delete option.