The new home for all of your photos is as fun to learn as it is to use. We’ll walk you through the first steps of getting your photos imported, protected and on all of your devices.
On a computer, navigate to www.mylio.com/download to get Mylio. Once downloaded, use the App Store on your iOS devices or the Play Store on your Android devices to download Mylio. Using your Mylio Account email and password, sign in to Mylio on all of the devices you want to sync pictures and video across.
Mylio uses a wi-fi network to move your photos between your devices (this is called peer-to-peer syncing). In order for your photos to sync across all of your devices, they must meet three criteria:
- All devices signed in to the same Mylio account
- All devices on the same wi-fi network
- All devices have Mylio running at the same time
Photos can be imported into Mylio from many different sources. Importing your photos from your computer can be done using the Import menu. Within the Import menu you have many different options for your import:
- Copy Folder – Mylio will duplicate your photo from its original location and add it directly to your Mylio Library
- Add External Drive to Mylio – Select folders on an external drive that you would like Mylio to reference. The drive will be added as a protection device and the selected folders displayed in your Mylio Library while remaining on the external drive.
- Lightroom – Select the folders that make up your Lightroom Library for Mylio to display and protect those images in your Mylio Library. The photos will not be duplicated, but referenced in their original location. New photos added to the selected folders will automatically be displayed in Mylio.
- iPhoto / Photos / Aperture – Mylio will copy your iPhoto, Photos, or Aperture Library directly into Mylio Library. This will copy your photos, file structure, and most edits and metadata.
- Online Services – Copy photos directly from your Facebook albums, Flickr account, or Picasa and Google Photos account to be displayed in Mylio.
- Source folders – Add your existing photo library into Mylio by simply selecting the folder(s) where your images are stored. Mylio will ensure the Mylio Library is kept up to date when new photos or videos are added to these folders.
On a mobile device, importing your camera roll happens automatically. However, if you need to add your camera roll again you can do so from the Import menu within your device’s Mylio settings. If Mylio alerts you that the Camera Roll or Media Library is already added, it may have been done during initial setup.
Mylio will automatically import new photos taken with your device. Deleting a photo from Mylio that was taken with your mobile device will not be removed from the device’s Camera Roll / Media Library.
- Thumbnails – A small version of your photo (20 to 30kb) that is great for referencing your full library. Ideal for mobile devices. Does not allow editing.
- Previews – Medium quality (approximately 1mb) that gives an accurate representation of your photos at a fraction of the space. Perfect for laptops for tablets. Fully editable.
- Originals – Your full quality file (original file size). Great for desktops or high capacity laptops. RAW Compatible. Fully editable.
Sync policies can be easily adjusted in two ways:
Device Sync Policies
Setting a Device Sync Policy tells each device on your account in what quality to sync new and existing photos. For instance, if your mobile device has a sync policy of “Thumbnails”, then new photos added on your computer will be synced to your mobile device as a thumbnail.
Device Sync Policies can be adjusted by selecting your protection status in the Navigation Panel then selecting the icon of the device in which you wish to adjust the sync policy for. By selecting “Default Photo Size & Quality” you will be asked to select a photo sync policy, and be shown the amount of data that each policy would take on your device.
Folder and Photo Sync Policies
If you wish to overwrite your device’s sync policy, this can be achieved by adjusting the sync policy for a specific folder, photo, or video.
To begin, select the media(s) or folder(s) you want to alter the sync policy of. Next, select the device you want to send the selected media to from the sync panel. Clicking the name of the device in the sync panel will open the Sync Policy Window.
The Sync Policy window allows you to choose between none, some, or all for each quality type. These options will send either none, some or all of the previously selected photo(s) or folder(s) to the device.
Protecting your photos is an integral part of Mylio. Photos imported into Mylio can be automatically sent to external hard drives or NAS (Network-attached Storage) devices. Setting up an external device can be done by selecting File > Add Removable Device or File > Add NAS Device.
By adding a removable device or a NAS device, you are asking Mylio to protect all media that is in your library to the external device. By default, all originals will be set to be protected on the added device. The status of your protection can be seen by looking at the “Originals” bar under your protection device in the sync panel.
Mylio can also protect your images to cloud services, like Amazon Drive and Google Drive, by selecting “Add More Devices” from the Device Map on desktop devices.