Note: Some of the features on this page are premium feature available only to paid Mylio subscribers. Learn more about the benefits of upgrading your Mylio account here.
Protecting your original files on a NAS or USB device is an easy way to gain an extra level of protection in Mylio. With Mylio, adding a NAS or USB device allows for any new photos or changes in Mylio to automatically be protected on a drive when it is available.
If the drive is not available, Mylio will write all changes to the drive the next time that it becomes available.
It is important to note that Mylio actively protects your photos but does not keep a legacy copy of your photos. Any photo deleted from Mylio will be automatically deleted from the external device.
Below are the steps to adding a protection device…
Please Note: External drives that have been used as Time Machine protection drives are not compatible as a Mylio protection drive. If you wish to erase the Time Machine drive and use it as a Mylio Protection device, detailed instructions can be found here to help with this process.
Adding a new USB device for photo protection
Adding a new USB device is an easy way for Mylio to protect all of the photos, metadata, edits, albums, people, and location information in your Mylio Library. Removable Mylio devices can even be taken between libraries to sync photos, too.
- Open Mylio and ensure the USB device is plugged into your computer.
- Navigate to the the file menu.
- Select ‘Add USB Device…’.
- All available USB devices will be listed in this menu.
- Select the USB device you would like to add a copy of your Mylio Library to and press ‘Continue’.
- The USB device will show as an active device in the Sync Panel. You can adjust the sync policies as desired, by default all originals will be sent to the USB device.
Adding a NAS device for photo protection
Adding a NAS device is great way to protect your entire Mylio library. Mylio will protect all of the photos, metadata, edits, albums, people, and location information directly to the NAS.
Adding a NAS device for photo protection is designed to operate on one computer. Adding a NAS device does not give any Mylio device access to the NAS that is not the original device. This feature is designed solely to protect your photos from a single machine, not enhance access.
- Open Mylio on the device that primarily connects to the NAS
- Navigate to the File menu
- Select “Add NAS Device…”
- Mylio will open a folder selection dialog, locate the folder you would like Mylio to copy the library to (note that Mylio will not save to the top level of the NAS, it must write into a folder)
- Once added, the NAS will show as an active device in the Sync Panel. You can adjust the sync policies as desired, by default all originals will be sent to the USB device.