With Mylio, you can import, view and replicate PDFs, allowing you to carry important documents with you wherever you are. This article will walk you through viewing and manipulating PDFs in Mylio.
Importing and viewing PDFs
Mylio can import PDF documents in the same way that it imports photos and videos. This allows you to quickly import full folders of documents using Mylio’s Copy import, External Drive import, or Source Folder import. Once imported, Mylio will display your PDF with a small arrow icon over it. This icon means that Mylio will open your computer’s default PDF reader to view the document. The change your default PDF reader, please see this article for Windows and this article for Mac. Mylio can also extract your PDFs for reading within Mylio, more information on this can be found under “Extracting PDFs”.
PDFs, much like photos and videos, can be replicated by adjusting the file or folder’s sync policy. To view PDFs outside of Mylio, or to extract PDFs for viewing within Mylio, your device must be syncing the original, full resolution version of the PDF. Previews or thumbnails of your PDF will display the first page of the PDF within Mylio, and display the download icon on the image. By selecting this icon you can tell Mylio to download this specific file automatically when a device that holds the original is online.
Extracting a PDF allows you to view the full PDF without opening your external editor. This is accomplished by extracting each page of your PDF as an image that is viewable in Mylio. For example, if you extract a 100 page PDF, Mylio will create 100 viewable images that can be read from within Mylio. For a PDF to be extracted your device must have the full resolution original. If your device has the original, you can extract the PDF by…
- Locate the PDF you wish to extract from within Mylio and select it or double click on it to make it full screen.
- Navigate to the ‘Actions’ menu at the bottom right of the center panel.
- Select ‘Extract PDF pages’ from the Actions menu.
- Mylio’s ‘Extract PDF’ dialog will open. Here you can select the pages that you would like to extract, the quality you wish to extract them in, and the extracted PDFs location. Remember that extracting a PDF is created a jpg for each page you are extracting.
- Select ‘Continue’ to extract the PDF.
- Once extracted, you will be taken to the extracted PDF location. The PDF will be inside of a folder with your PDFs name. Opening this folder displays each page of the PDF to be viewed in Mylio. Note: manipulating the extracted PDF does not affect the original PDF document.