Importing photos into Mylio using the ‘Source Folders’ command is a quick and easy way to display photos that are already organized on your machine in a view that is familiar but within the Mylio application. My Library is not designed to be used with external drives. If importing from an external drive, please reference this article’s ‘Mirror’ section to import properly.
Understanding Source Folders
When choosing which folders to be ‘Source Folders’, Mylio will keep your photos in the original location- meaning they are not being duplicated or moved. Because Mylio is referencing your folders and their contents in the original location, any change made in Mylio will be reflected onto your original files.
What does this mean?
- Deleting photos in Mylio will delete the actual files from the original location
- Moving photos out of the folder and into another folder will move the photo file in your file system
- Adding folders as Source Folders is a great way to import into Mylio if you intend to keep your photos in the same location but use Mylio to track and manage them
Importing with Source Folders
To proceed with adding a folder to My Library, follow the steps below…
- Launch Mylio and select ‘Import‘ in the Navigation Panel. This will then bring up the Import menu.
- Expand the ‘Advanced’ section to display ‘Source Folders’.
- Select ‘Source Folders.’
- Mylio will open a new window that allows you to build your Mylio Library. By default, Mylio will display your machine’s Pictures and Movies folders, as well as the default Mylio Pictures folder.
- To add folders, simply select the “Add more folders” button at the bottom of this panel and select the folders you would like Mylio to display.
- Any folder selected will be added to your ‘Source Folders’ window and can be toggled on and off. The selected folders will be displayed within Mylio as top level folders, next to the ‘Mylio Pictures’ folder.
Removing Folders as Source Folders
To remove a folder from ‘Source Folders’ and stop tracking their changes, follow these steps…
- Open Mylio and navigate to ‘Settings’ in the Navigation Panel.
- Select ‘Source Folders’
- Mylio will display all of the folders that are part of your Mylio Library. To remove them, simply untoggle the folder.
- The folder will remain in the ‘Source Folders’ to be easily toggled back on until you leave the window. Once you have left, the folder will no longer be listed. To re-add the folder, use the steps under ‘Importing with Source Folders’ above.