Note: This is a premium feature available to paid Mylio subscribers. Learn more about the benefits of upgrading your Mylio account here.
Once Google Drive has been added as a protection service it will be listed in the sync panel as a protection location. Google Drive can then be manipulated as any other protection device to include or exclude specific data from your Mylio library. However, unlike other protection devices (NAS and USB devices), Protecting your files to Google Drive does not give you the ability to edit data within Google Drive for reflection in Mylio. This feature is designed solely as a tool for Mylio to communicate with and is not an alternative uploader for Google Drive.
Note: Google Drive protection uploads your files as encrypted files not viewable from within the Google Drive website. Files can be written and read by Mylio only.
Setting Up Google Drive Protection
1. From a computer and within Mylio, select the device map.
2. Select ‘Add More Devices’ at the top of the device map.
3. Select ‘Add Google Drive’.
4. Mylio will display the “Add Cloud Storage’ menu. To add Google Drive as a protection service, select ‘Add Google Drive’ at the bottom of this window.
5. Sign into the Google account that you wish to protect your images to.
6. Once signed in, Mylio will display Google Drive within the sync panel. By default, Google Drive will protect all thumbnails, previews, and originals.
Restoring Mylio from Google Drive
In some cases, you may wish to restore your Mylio Library from Google Drive. This may happen if your device is lost, stolen, broken, or if you are starting Mylio on a remote device that cannot connect to another device via a peer-to-peer connection. By signing in to your Mylio account that has previously been protected to Google Drive, Mylio will automatically download your media in the quality designated by your device’s default sync policy. You can adjust the sync policy for individual files or folders if you wish to keep higher or lower quality photos on your device.
- Open and sign in to the Mylio account previously associated with Google Drive.
- Open the device map and ensure ‘Google Drive’ is listed as a protection location.
- Mylio will automatically begin to download your Mylio catalog and library to the new device. (Note: this process may take time. To speed up syncing connect to another device via a peer-to-peer connection that has your Mylio Library).
Unregistering Google Drive as a Mylio Device
If you wish to unregister Google Drive as a location that Mylio can sync to, you can do so from the service’s sync preferences. By unregistering Google Drive you will prevent Mylio from protecting any new media to Google Drive. Media currently on Google Drive will not be removed from the service. Note that if Google Drive is unregistered and then set up again your library will need to fully resync to the service.
- Open Mylio’s Device Map to locate all current sync locations.
- Select Google Drive
- Open the device’s Device Settings.
- Select ‘Unregister this Device’ at the bottom of the Device Settings menu.
- Confirm that you would like to unregister the device by typing in your Mylio password.