Mylio’s face recognition helps keep your photos organized by creating custom albums in the People view of your friends and family. Tagging your photos is easy, as Mylio will match untagged faces with previously identified people – all you have to do is confirm for accuracy. Like all face recognition, telling Mylio who is in your photos increases the accuracy of this feature over time.
Mylio’s Face Recognition can be used in two primary ways…
Tag Faces Individually
- Open a photo in any view. This can be in all photos, a folder, or even in the ‘Untagged’ folder within People.
- Toggle Face Recognition on by selecting the face recognition icon at the bottom of the center panel.
- If Mylio detects a face, it will ask you to identify who is in the photo. You can do this by selecting the recommended name, or by pressing the corresponding number on your keyboard.
- If multiple faces are detected, Mylio will recommend names for each face one at a time. By adding the first face, Mylio will advance to the next face automatically.
- If Mylio detects a face that you do not want to name, or detects something that is not a face, you can select ‘ignore’ to move past the selection.
- Once a photo has been tagged, it will be added to the custom album within People view for that person.
Tag Faces in Bulk
Mylio will scan photos automatically and place them in albums from within ‘People’ view. This allows you to quickly identify if a person is, or is not, who Mylio believes they are.
There are two situations where you can use bulk tagging…
You Have Told Mylio Who Someone Is
If Mylio knows who someone is, they will have an album created for them in ‘People’ view. Once Mylio knows the name and face of a person, it will scan each photo to see if it has a match as you browse through your images. If Mylio finds a match, the person’s album in ‘People’ view will ask you to confirm if the photo is, or is not, that person. Albums that have photos that need to be identified will have an ‘identification needed’ icon in the top left of the album.
When an album with the ‘identification needed’ icon is opened, any photo that is not confirmed to be the matched person will display another ‘identification needed’ icon at the bottom of the image. Selecting the icon will ask you to confirm or deny if Mylio has matched the person correctly.
Confirming this tells Mylio to leave the photo in the person’s album, while denying it places the photo in the ‘Untagged’ folder for manual identification.
Mylio has identified Multiple Photos Containing an Unknown Person
As you browse your photos, Mylio will automatically identify the faces in those photos. If Mylio finds photos that it believes are the same person, but that person has not yet been identified, they will be placed in a ‘Who is this?” album at the top of ‘People’ view.
You can easily create a person, or add these photos to an existing person, by…
- Double-click or tap on the “Who is this?” album.
- Select the specific folder, or multiple photos, to identify the faces in those photos.
- Select the blue ‘Identification needed’ icon under the photo. If multiple photos are selected, you can select any highlighted ‘Identification needed’ icon to tag multiple photos simultaneously.
- Select the name of the person if displayed, or create a new person by typing in a new name and pressing enter.
- Mylio will either add the photos to an existing people album, or create a new people album with the new name. Future photos of that person will be added to their album for identification confirmation.
Bulk Ignore Untagged Faces
In some cases, you may have photos with many faces that all need ignored. This is common in pictures of crowds like concerts, races, or other public events. Mylio makes it easy to tag who you know and ignore all other faces.
- Locate the photo with multiple people who need to be ignored.
- Tag the people who you do know before bulk-ignoring.
- Open Mylio’s details panel and open the face tagging pane.
- Select ‘Ignore Untagged Faces’ from the top of the tagging pane.
Additional Information About Face Recognition
- Mylio scans an image for faces when the photo has been fully opened with Mylio. Once opened, the photo will be added to the ‘Untagged’ folder in ‘People’ view.
- If you would like Mylio to scan and match all of the photos in your library, toggle on ‘All’ from within the Advanced Settings menu. Note that this is an intensive process and may take some time to complete. Additionally, this process can only be done from a computer.
- If Mylio does not recommend who is actually in the photo, you can type the person’s name in “Who is this?” box. Mylio will remember this and make better suggestions next time.
- If a face is not recognized within Mylio, you can still tag the person by using the People tab within the Details Panel. This will add the photo to the correct People album.
- If Mylio is not detecting faces for any photo, ensure that Face Detection is turned with the face icon at the bottom of the center panel (in full photo view).